• FSA - Dependent Care Expenses (DCE) Account FAQ

    Please note: Some employers do not offer this feature.  

    How do I submit a claim?

    Complete and sign a Request for Reimbursement from FSA or HRA form or log into the FSA/HRA portal and submit a claim along with your documentation. If your dependent care expenses are consistent, consider setting up recurring reimbursements—see next question for more information.

    How do recurring reimbursements work?

    Simply complete our Dependent Care Recurring Expense form, have your dependent care provider complete their portions, and then send it to us via the FSA/HRA portal, fax, or mail. Once it’s set up, you won’t need to submit any additional documentation. As we receive payroll deductions to your FSA, we’ll automatically generate recurring reimbursements based on a flat weekly, biweekly, or monthly rate. The arrangement is valid for the duration requested or for the current plan year, whichever is less. If you need to make a change to your recurring reimbursement before the plan year is over, simply submit a new form, and we’ll make the adjustment.

    What is the turnaround time for processing and reimbursing a DCE reimbursement request?

    It typically takes two business days from the time you submit a claim to when it is processed. If you are expecting a paper check it will be issued the day after the claim is processed assuming you have the funds available in your account.

    I’m signed up for direct deposit. How long will it be before I see the reimbursement in my bank account?

    The standard turnaround time for deposit into your account is approximately one to two business days after the claim has been processed, assuming you have the funds available in your account.

    What happens if my claim amount is greater than the balance in my DCE account?

    If you are claiming more than the currently available amount, we will reimburse you up to the available balance and then pend the remainder until the account has been funded by the employer.

    Do I have access to my entire DCE election amount at the beginning of the year?

    No, you only have access to the funds as they are deposited into the account by your employer.

    What expenses are covered under the DCE account?

    Visit our Eligible Expenses page for a list of expenses covered under the DCE account.

    My school district charges me for Kindergarten. Can I claim this expense under the DCE account?

    No, any fees associated with public or private schooling above preschool are not eligible.

    How far in advance can I claim for DCE?

    You may submit claims for reimbursement up to 2 weeks in advance of the service date(s). 

    How can I check on the status of my reimbursement?

    You may check the status of your request by logging in to the FSA/HRA portal, or by calling customer service at (800) 422-7038.

    How do I receive my reimbursements by direct deposit?

    You may sign up for direct deposit:

    1. Sign up through the FSA/HRA portal.
    2. Complete our Direct Deposit form and mail or fax it to us.

    What if I have money left in my account at the end of the year?

    Under current IRS regulations you either need to use up the funds for services during your plan year or you will lose them. Also under the IRS regulations, any funds remaining in the account at the end of the coverage period are forfeited and cannot be returned to you. There are no exceptions to this rule. We will send you a year end reminder letter letting you know how much you still need to claim before the plan year ends, but it is your responsibility to keep track of the remaining balance so that you use up the funds.

    Where can I obtain additional reimbursement forms?

    You may download the request form from our Forms page, you can contact your human resources department, or you can contact Customer Service at (800) 422-7038, and we can mail them to you.